Job Title – Senior Software Developer
- Location - Sheffield
- Permanent and Contract roles available
- Excellent salary plus benefits
Westfield Health is an award winning, Investors in People organisation and one of the UK’s leading health and wellbeing providers. Every day we enable more businesses, customers and their families to confidently take control of their health through our award winning cash plans, hospital treatment insurance and rapidly growing range of wellbeing services.
We’re championing a fresh and holistic approach to wellbeing at work and at play. Our range of innovative solutions focuses on both treatment and prevention for the body and mind. We’re very proud of our achievements to date and have a strong and clear commitment to building the organisation and developing our employees.
We're looking for top-tier senior developers who have a passion for their craft, and for creating clean and testable code in an agile environment. As a successful candidate, you'll have extensive experience with designing, deploying and managing full-stack and mobile-first web applications with Microsoft .NET technologies including the latest Core frameworks. You'll also be a leader in industry best practice for version control, continuous integration and deployment management, both on-premise and in cloud.
The successful candidate will also have the interpersonal skills to communicate their technical vision within the organisation, and to engage with both technical and non-technical people to solve a variety of complex problems.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
Bring industry best practice to develop robust, clean and test-covered code to satisfy required developments for each agile sprint.
Contribute to supporting our applications, providing fixes and feature enhancements to provide timely updates and releases in line with our products and services strategy.
Lead collaborative design processes for the architecture and implementation of new software and cloud infrastructure to meet the requirements of the business.
Proactively suggest new or alternative approaches to structure and architecture of applications to provide robust, scalable, reliable software that is supportable by colleagues.
Code Quality and Quality Assurance
- Uphold best practices of test-driven development
- Follow pull request review practice alongside other developers
- Ensure that code is annotated correctly and that any supporting documentation is kept up-to-date in line with any code changes and check-ins.
- Work with the QA Team to optimise and improve QA processes, both automated and exploratory
- Support and feed into Project scoping and definition alongside other Developers, Delivery Managers and Project and Programme Managers.
- Support working in an Agile project structure ensuring appropriate documentation is kept up-to-date.
- Ensure essential tools for collaboration and state tracking such as Target Process are up to date
- Proactively use communication tools such as Slack to work with the team and other stakeholders
- Deputise for the Software Development Team Lead at meetings as and when appropriate to do so
- Coordinating with the various agile teams and stakeholders to ensure releases are communicated and in a fit state for deployment.
- Ensure Software Configuration Management practices are followed.
- Define a build strategy and configurations on the build server to validate the quality of code commits
- Design and configure CI pipelines for continuous build and deployment, and to achieve repeatable and versioned one-click zero-downtime deployment
- Support the business to embed the Westfield Code and CORE values
- Be aware of your role and responsibilities as defined in the Company’s Business Continuity Plan (BCP).
- Ensure the Confidentiality, Integrity and Availability of Westfield Health’s systems and data is maintained in accordance with industry best practice and regulatory compliance
- Collaborate on reviews being conducted under the Annual Internal Audit, ISO Conformance Monitoring and Compliance Monitoring Programmes in a timely manner. Ensure that all accepted recommendations arising from these reviews are implemented in accordance with agreed timescales
- Ensure that you comply with all relevant legislative requirements, including financial services regulations, employment law, Data Protection and Health and Safety.
- Any other duties as reasonably requested.
Experience and Skills
What we’re looking for:
- Passionate about clean and pragmatic code, TDD/BDD and modern software development practices.
- Experience designing and building stacks for scalable web applications, with consideration of performance, security, auditing, maintainability and integration concerns.
- In-depth familiarity with modern .NET technologies including
- C# 7
- ASP.NET 4.7,
- .NET Core, including Core MVC, and Web API
- Entity Framework
- Cloud experience in AWS, Azure or GCP (AWS preferred)
- Front-end frameworks including Angular 2/ Vue.js
- Experience of version control systems including Git
- Experience of preparing and coordinating the use of development and testing environments and a continuous integration process through these with multiple CI providers such as TeamCity, CircleCi, Jenkins etc either on-prem or in cloud
- Experience of Agile working and the software development lifecycle
- Experience of container technologies with knowledge of container orchestration systems including Rancher, Kubernetes, Docker Swarm etc
- RDB experience with MS SQL Server or MySQL
- Schemaless database experience with MongoDB or similar
Good but not essential:
- Experience with Infrastructure as Code technologies such as Terraform or Cloud Formation
- Knowledge of WebPack and SASS.
- Oracle DB
- Familiarity with unix shell tooling including Bash
- Experience in log aggregation, monitoring and metrics tooling such as AWS CloudWatch, Prometheus, Grafana, ELK stack, Splunk or similar
- Bitbucket, TFS, Target Process, TeamCity
- Experience using Node.js
Abilities, skills and knowledge
- Articulate and confident in communicating both orally and in writing
- Can understand, explain, present and communicate complex technical ideas to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Good analytical skills for identifying and resolving complex problems
- Must ensure solutions are built according to company standards and in accordance with business requirements.
- Must be able to produce clearly documented code with unit test coverage
- Must be able to design and code new and software solutions.
- Must be able to maintain and problem solve issues with existing code base as required when delivering enhanced functionality.
- Excellent time management skills
- Flexible, adaptable, self-motivated and able to work with no supervision
Education and qualifications
For the right candidate we don’t necessitate any formal qualification, but the following are nice to have:
- Computing or related degree or Master’s degree (or equivalent experience)
- Professional qualification or certificate e.g. MCSD, MTA (Developer Track)
This is a fantastic opportunity if you feel that you have the necessary skills to carry out this role, please apply by email your CV to HRInbox@westfieldhealth.com.
Westfield Health is an equal opportunities employer.